Sunday, February 26, 2012

Review: Where Things Come Back


Where Things Come Back
Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



What I liked about this story was the relationship between Cullen and his brother Gabriel and the one between Cullen and his best friend Lucas. What I didn't like was the relationship between Cullen and the various women in his life. And, there was another minor detail that really annoyed me, so I might as well say it: why do authors choose such similar names for two of the important characters, Ada and Alma, or whatever their names were. Come on, there are loads of different names available, even ones that sound Southern. Why do they choose ones that are so similar? It makes all the females sort of run together in one depiction of the female gender. After all, they are just accessories to the story, so we don't really need to have them have individual characters.

The plot for the story is quite convoluted and I must admit that about halfway through, I started losing interest. It does eventually all hang together, but it takes quite a while to get there.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment