Sunday, June 3, 2007

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

OK, I may be the only one in the universe for whom this book didn't do much. I don't dislike it and I think it was well done, it just won't be a book I treasure forever, unlike some of the other people I have read discussing it.

The story: although much of the story is told through the pictures, the basic plot is that Hugo, a teenager, is living in an underground railway station, where he tends the clocks for his Uncle, who took him in when his father was killed in a fire. Hugo rescues an automaton from the fire where his father died. The automaton was something his father was working on and now Hugo wants to try to fix it himself. But he needs parts. Since his uncle has abandoned him, he resorts to stealing - both food and toys - food to sustain himself and toys for the parts he needs to fix the automaton. But he gets caught stealing. The plot is actually a bit more complicated that this, but I don't want to give away more.

I almost feel like I SHOULD like the book, and I am glad others do, but it didn't touch me like it obviously did them.

No comments:

Post a Comment